Saturday, April 4, 2015

Car-Nel 64 Skylines

I had never heard of Car-Nel brand before deciding to preorder these two cars.  They weren't hyped or anything, but my expectations were fairly high, based on the price(around $20).  As someone who coveted the Kyosho hakosuka GT-R, but could never afford one from the secondary market(eBay), this one was a must-have.

At the first glance, they were pretty impressive in their super nice boxes.

car-nel carnel nissan skyline gt-r kpgc10 custom ver.  1/64

Unfortunately, once out of the cases, all I could notice was awkward proportions & rough finishes.

Nissan Skyline GT-R KPGC10 Custom Version "Hakosuka"
loose car-nel carnel nissan skyline gt-r kpgc10 custom ver.

loose rear back car-nel carnel nissan skyline gt-r kpgc10 hakosuka

KPGC110 "Kenmeri"

As a kid, I liked this kenmeri nickname.  I think I mainly saw the name in Japanese manga comics, and also car mags.  Origin of the name, I didn't learn until very recently.  Back when this car was new, Nissan ran a series of ads featuring fictional couple "Ken & Mary" with the Skyline.  I guess it stuck.  "Meri" is shorter & has little bit of engrish, but you can clearly see "kenmeri" from that.

car-nel carnel nissan skyline gt-r kpgc110 custom ver. kenmeri

car-nel carnel nissan skyline gt-r kpgc110 kenmeri

I've always like the rear end of these cars, too.  Mattel/Hot Wheels made a pretty ambitious attempt at it couple years ago, and while I'd happily give them an "A" for effort, tampos often ended up all over the place.  Kyosho minicar version was clean, but it was overly simplified.  Car-Nel rear was too messy with paint spilling over here & there, and in my opinion, there is no excuse for that from a $20 car.  I can only hope for the Tomica Limited Vintage to make these guys look really bad, should they decide to make a kenmeri someday.  I dream of kenmeri police car by TLV.   *sigh*  


No comments:

Post a Comment