Saturday, April 2, 2016

Desert Island Cars Vol. 8: RCKakashi's Top Ten


desert island hot wheels minicar tomica cars

RCKakashi14 from Philippines

Top 10 1:64 scale models in my collection:




10. Hot Wheels Hall of Fame, Riley & Scott Mk. III:

Hot Wheels Hall of Fame, Riley & Scott Mk. III

See? A Hot Wheels casting made it in the list. Ever since then, I always have reservations on buying HW cars because of the cartoonish proportions of real-life cars. Replicating real-life cars must be done in detail, including the right lines. But of course there are quite a few castings that stood out, such as this Riley & Scott Mk. III. Oh look, rubber tires! I am a big fan of Le Mans Prototypes, and because of that, I must have at least a scale model version of them. Those purposeful lines always attract me, and always shout to the world that they are to be taken seriously. 

Oh, do you know that I got this for dirt cheap? Hehe...




9. Hot Wheels Japan Historics Mazda RX-3:

Hot Wheels Japan Historics Mazda RX-3

Another Hot Wheels car has made it. Because Rotary. Brap Brap Brap... and because rubber tires. AND BECAUSE FENDERS.





8. Tomica Premium Lamborghini Countach LP500S Walter Wolf:

Tomica Premium Lamborghini Countach LP500S Walter Wolf

Oh look, a bull just prowls its way here. Tomicas are, in my opinion, a hit-and-miss cars. There are some that are worthy of a place in my collection, and there are some that just had to be left on the shelves in toy stores. But this Countach belongs to the former. Why? It's a revamped casting, because the early models look awkward, even the red Tomica Limited version. In this one, while it doesn't have the rubber tires (boo!), the proportions are done right and the fenders are on the correct width along with the proper choice of tire width. Not too keen on that camber, though... and the fact that it had to don plastic tires despite being a "Premium" model.




7. Norev BMW i8

Norev BMW i8

A dealer edition BMW i8. While the package doesn't state what brand that made it, I still managed to find out thanks to the deities of Google. Amazing detailing for cheap, and could be the next brand to be taken seriously since Kyoshos are getting a lot more expensive nowadays. Interestingly, the car is bolted on by screws, and the roof is a separate panel. Though why would I mod something this great?




6. Kyosho Mercedes Sauber C9:

Kyosho Mercedes Sauber C9

Yep, another Le Mans Prototype. I just love them. Bought this on the last day of 2015, and that was the best way to end the year. Incredible paint quality, and stance is just right. Why can't new Kyoshos be this perfect?




5. Kyosho Porsche 911 Turbo (991)

Kyosho Porsche 911 Turbo 991

I will never ever say no to a Porsche, even if that is the Cayenne. It's a brand that had proven everything in its racing history which, in turn, garnered the most victories in motorsport. Naturally, I love each and every variant of the 911, and my favorite is the Turbo simply because of its all-around capability. Upon seeing the 991 Turbo, I felt that I have to get one in scale model form, and voila!




4. Kyosho Bentley Flying Spur W12:

Kyosho Bentley Flying Spur W12

Superb casting and detail. The same can be said about the paint quality. One of the few new Kyoshos that are actually great. Plus, it's a badass, autobahn missile Bentley. Who wouldn't want to have one? 


3. Kyosho Mazda 787B:

 Kyosho Mazda 787B

Here's what I can call a "lucky" buy. Due to Kyosho's "blind box" system in Minicar collection sets, it's hard to get the desired model provided you're paying the same amount for each of the models. When the Mazda Rotary Collection set arrived in the store, I immediately picked up one and upon opening it, this baby greeted my eyes, that green and orange RENOWN livery.

And along with its legendary status in real-life, it's one total badass racer. Still the one and only Japanese car to win Le Mans, something that bigger companies such as Toyota and Nissan can't seem to follow. Of course, my love for Rotaries earned it enough zing to be placed in the Top 3.



2. Kyosho Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series:

Kyosho Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series

Aggressive lines, perfect paintjob, and impeccable detail. Yep, this is what I call Kyosho's finest casting of this decade. Looks are subjective, I know, but this one really takes the cake. The rims could have been darker, though. But nah, that's not a deal breaker considering the precision done on this casting. The molded side mirrors may divide opinion, but this car deserves that treatment.




And the top spot belongs to...





The Kyosho Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid!

Kyosho Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid
Okay, the wing may have a weird angle, but... it's a Porsche racecar for goodness sake! It showed incredible performance in its career and proven to the world that hybrids are badass. The paint quality? It's like gods have taken charge of putting the livery. When you hold the casting, it may seem that the body is wrapped, but actually the base color is matte orange, and the tampos are the white, silver and black stripes. The stance and its wide sexy rear end make me drool every time I look at it at the front row of my display cabinet. And look at that smiling front end, eager to say "hi" or "hello" but deep inside the car demands attention. I didn't mind the price tag, I just purchased it and off I go. 





So that's my Top 10 cars. Truth be told, it took me a long time to decide which ones are to be placed on the list, because I love every model in my cabinet. It's just that these 10 models stand out the most.



A piece of advice before ending this:


Each model in your collection is a KEEPER. Therefore, if you want it to keep it that way, take some time decide which one to buy, and which line of collection to take.


And be proud of what you have. Share it to the world regardless of what it's made of.

Minicar Pics 1/64:  Hybrid race car is absolutely gorgeous.  I can see why that one stands out the most for you.  Very thoughtful advice to conclude the post as well.  Thank you for sharing the list Kakashi!  :)

CHECK OUT ALL DESERT ISLAND LISTS HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment